Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Student Review of Blankets – by Craig Thompson


A Summary of Teen Angst

Spencer Tye

8/13/14

 

“How satisfying it is to leave a mark on a blank surface. To make a map of my movement…no matter how temporary.” 
 

            This quote sums up the complex emotions behind the story quite well. Essentially it is a story of childhood, wonder, and eventually heartbreak. There are many controversial and profound moments spawning from religion, sexuality, and depression. People may be turned off by these moments, but they strengthen the story greatly by giving it that element of what our childhoods were really like. Too often are stories about a teenager riddled with profanity and unnecessary animosity or ‘klickiness.’ Thompson captured what the transition from the innocence of childhood into adulthood is really all about. All I can remember after reading it for the first time, (I was seventeen), was how it spoke to me. It gave me perspective. It allowed me to look into the life of another and perceive how depression affects everyone in much the same way it had me. Reading it again now, several years later, brings back both fond and difficult memories of my own in tandem with the main characters, making it all the better.

No comments: